The historic Picchiotti shipyard originally was founded in 1600 in Limite sull’Arno, Italy. In addition to building commercial and military vessels, Picchiotti also gained a growing reputation as a luxury yacht builder, and helped to pioneer the concept of the recreational motor boat series. Over the centuries, luxury yacht builder Picchiotti moved its shipyard and also expanded to other locations. Superyacht builder Perini Navi Group acquired luxury yacht builder Picchiotti in the early 1990s. In 2007, Perini Navi launched a new series of luxury motor yachts designed in collaboration with naval architect Philippe Briand and Vitruvius Ltd. under the Picchiotti brand name. By 2010, Perini Navi Group had moved all of its luxury motor yacht production to the Picchiotti shipyard in La Spezia.